The Wishgranter

The Wishgranter

“Mam, the store is closing” I give a quick nod before grabbing the bag of chips and rushing to the counter. The bell chimes 12 o cloak “Do you need a bag?” “No” I shove the bag of chips, ice cream tub, and microwaved food containers into my tote bag. Quickly I whisper thank you before making my way into the dead of night. The lights of my university shines brightly in the distance. As I walked, my attention was drawn to the old fountain in the town square. Its aged stone exterior and rippling waters under the moonlight looks like something out of a fantasy. Though it had been there since my arrival in London, I had never given it much thought. Without hesitation, I reached into my pocket for the change I got from the convenience store. I retrieved a shiny, gold coin. With a smile, I toss  the coin into the fountain. PLOP! Closing my eyes, I make a wish. A wish that my family has good luck for generations to come. Tricky, but a wish is a wish.

The next morning I’m woken by the sounds from my phone… “RING RING RING RING” I groan reaching to my side table for my vibrating phone. Squinting to see the name tag, “ Morning Grandma…” “Emi! Thank the Lord! Guess what… we just won the lottery and the government just offered help on our farm.! This is a  miracle!” I smile, knowing that my wish came true.